Friday, August 29, 2014

August Sales Weak or Strong?

I had to wait one whole year for August 2014 to come along.

I actually began selling Fulfilment by Amazon (FBA) in mid August 2013 and I had heard prior to that change in business model from merchant fulfilled to FBA that August can be good.

I ran the business as non pro-seller until March when I turned up the screws a notch opting to pay the $39.99 per month  pro-seller fee. This followed three months of selling more than thirty nine books per month, at an average of 45 sales per month in the first three months of the year I was paying more than the pro-seller fee anyway at $0.99 per sale.

After April sales fell to an average of 35 sales per month but I stuck with the pro-seller fee and still do.

July was on the good side, especially the last few days of the month. Slightly above average sales with an increase in the average selling price of books from $11.87 to $12.42.

Does August Live Up to Expectations?

Bearing in mind we have not yet reached the end of August, but indications are that this month has blown away all planned and budgetted sales.

I was expecting a high thirties sale month.  So far over 50 books have been sold.

Averages sales have been around the $400 gross mark.  August gross sales are $680+

Our current stock level dropped from 760 books to 750 books this despite sending three shipments of books this month already.

What Sold?


During August we continued to sell our normal mixture of books, some fiction in hardcover and paperback, self help and crafting books. These sold at normal levels which would have given us our planned for average.

The additional sales came from a variety of college textbooks,  student advice books and possible assigned texts. 

As foreseen before the summer when I advised getting textbooks to the fulfilment centers, see Textbooks Anyone,  textbooks need to play a part in your late Summer business plan.

How Does This August Set the Plan for Next Year?

The experience of this August does alter my business plan for next year slightly.

  • I will actively seek out more recent and high quality textbooks and additional reading books from my sources.
  • I will maintain minimum levels of these textbooks at fulfilment centers until April or May 2015.  these books can be large and impact on storage fees, however minor those charges seem. 
  • I need to plan more effective re-stocking to maintain levels during such high demand seasons.

August 2014 has taught me a lot about selling FBA. I hope some of this report on my experience may help you.

Please feel free to comment on this and other posts in the comment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment