Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Is it Possible to Build a Bookstore by Bootstrapping?

First what is Bootstrapping?


Bootstrapping is merely a method of building a business at minimal cost. You can easily bootstrap a business by constantly reinvesting income from sales.


I opened Bretsuki's Books last year with just seventeen old used textbooks and which I had been trying to sell on amazon.com privately for a few months.


I changed the supply status from merchant fulfilled at the end of August to fulfilled by amazon. Within days of going to this new mode of selling fourteen of the books had sold and I began building my store.


Fulfilment by amazon does come with some costs, I received about one third of my asking prices for those books, but the income was such that I went out to local thrift stores and bought new stock with the income.


Again using some of the income to pay shipping fees and storage fees, as each batch of books sold I bought new stock.


On the whole I look for new looking books or at worst very good, if they are in quick selling areas.


I generally avoid hardback fiction and biographies unless they are in popular sub categories, Civil War Generals are popular, especially Robert E. Lee and President Lincoln is another good prospect.


My online stock levels are now about to top the five hundred book mark. All of this made possible by bootstrapping and reinvesting as much of the income generated into re-stocking my store.

No comments:

Post a Comment